We're offering a £50,000 prize fund for the “Best App”.
There is also a trip to the USA for the Microsoft Technology Challenge Prize.
The winning Team will receive a grant of up to £50,000 which will be funded by the Scottish Government, SSE and SEPA in order to further develop, finalise and deploy the solution in as many SMEs around Scotland on the widest variety of platforms. The Grant will be used to ensure the solution assists Scotland’s SMEs in achieving the SME Enviro App Goal. The Organisers will work with the winning Team to allocate the Grant based on a mutually agreed plan.
Microsoft Technology Challenge Prize
- If the First Prize winner is based on Microsoft Technology then they will also win a trip to Microsoft Headquarters based in Redmond, Washington, US. This prize is limited to a maximum of 4 members of the winning Team.
- If the winning Team is not based on Microsoft technology then the Microsoft Technology Challenge Prize will go to the top rated Team whose solution is based on Microsoft technology.
- To be eligible to win the Microsoft Technology Challenge Prize your solution must use at least 2 of the following 4 technologies as an integral part of the solution.
- Windows Server
- Windows Phone
- Windows 8
If you are confirmed as a winner:
- You may not exchange prizes for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value.
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to the next highest scoring Team.
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize.
- If you are otherwise eligible, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, then we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf.
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and/or terms and conditions.
First Prize, Grant Conditions
- The Grant must be used by the winning Team to further develop, finalise and deploy the solution in as many SMEs around Scotland on the widest variety of platforms.
- The Grant must be used to ensure the solution assists Scotland’s SMEs in achieving the SME Enviro App Goal “to raise business awareness amongst SMEs of climate change requirements, measure progress towards carbon reduction, or assist SMEs in either carbon management or enhanced energy efficiency”.
- The Organisers will work with the winning Team to allocate the Grant based on a mutually agreed plan.
- The Organisers and the winning Team will be in regular communication to evaluate how the Grant will be spent.
- The winning Team will provide written quotations and receipts to the Organisers upon request and the parties will mutually agree on the time of transfer of the Grant to the winning Team.
- For the avoidance of doubt, the Organisers will not transfer the Grant to a third party on the winning Team’s behalf.
- Payment of the final installment of the Grant will be no later than 90 days following the announcement of the winners
- The Grant may not be used to cover salaries, travel costs, course fees, living expenses, insurance or other maintenance type payments or other costs that are not directly related to the SME Enviro App Goal.
Microsoft Technology Challenge Prize Conditions
The Team that is the winner of the Microsoft Technology Challenge Prize will be awarded a trip for four (4) of its team members to Microsoft Headquarters in Redmond, WA, USA in the autumn of 2012. The trip will include as a minimum:
- Up to four (4) tickets, return economy airfare from the major airport closest to the chosen team members’ homes (including airport transfers),
- standard hotel accommodation for up to four (4) team members’ for a minimum of 3 nights (sharing of rooms may be required).
- breakfast, lunch and dinner during the trip for a minimum of three (3) days, each day total cost not to exceed $50 per person, excluding any beverages
In addition to the general prize conditions described above, all travel prizes are subject to the following conditions:
- Actual value of travel prize depends on date/time/destination, and difference between actual value and stated value will not be awarded in cash. Any expenses not explicitly listed herein, are the sole responsibility of the entrant.
- You are responsible for acquiring and providing all required travel documents, including, but not limited to any required Visa, passport, travel insurance, etc. along with any associated expenses.
- If you live within 250 miles of the travel destination, we reserve the right to substitute alternate transportation for air travel.
- Event dates and location are subject to change at our sole discretion. Therefore, you must have flexible travel capabilities.
- If the trip is cancelled for any reason, we shall have no further obligation to you.
- Travel is subject to availability and must be completed on dates specified by sponsors or the prize will be forfeited and awarded to the next highest scoring Team. Some restrictions may apply. No cancellation of reservation or transfer of reservation to another date after reservation has been made.
If you/your Team is selected to advance in SME Enviro App, we will notify you by sending a message to the email address or mailing address (if any) you provided at time of sign up within the timelines designated in the Key Dates section of these Terms and Conditions.
You agree to assist the Organisers in the creation of case studies or white papers (together Studies) detailing your participation in SME Enviro App. Upon your approval of the Studies, which shall not be unreasonably withheld, you agree to give the Organisers permission to display the Studies including trademarks, logos, copyright and other identifying information contained therein, on the Organisers’ respective websites and in other documentation. This documentation may take various forms, including printed materials, online articles, video, audio, and other digital recordings.
Each Participant of the winning Team(s) at the SME Enviro App Finals Event consents to their surnames and / or organisation names being made publicly available and to taking part in marketing / promotion. The winning Participant’s’ surnames (and organisations, if applicable) will be available for a period of 3 months after the closing date or by emailing mail[at]smeenviroapp[dot]com
“This is a great example of Scotland’s public and private sectors working together to develop creative, practical and effective solutions for reducing greenhouse gas emissions”
Stewart Stevenson MSP
Environment and Climate Change Minister for Scotland
“The EnviroApp competition should produce another useful engagement tool, building on the impact of the Envirowheel.”
BT Scotland Director
“This is a chance for Scotland to showcase its commitment to the climate change agenda as well as its innovative software developer community on a global stage.”
Convenor of the Digital Participation Action Group (DPAG)
“We hope the cream of Scotland's software developers will step up to the mark and come up with something truly innovative.”
Chief Executive of SSE and convener of Scotland's 2020 Climate Group
“I am sure we will be able to count on Scotland’s developer community to produce some great offerings that will engage businesses and stimulate engagement in the climate change agenda.”
Director, Scotland, Wales & UK Local Government, Microsoft
“The App will be an excellent opportunity to add another dimension to the work of the SERES partners, providing an additional way for businesses to access information and support.”
Chair of the SERES Partnership